Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derekjt83

Please help to identify this wood.

DerekJT83
11 years ago

I'm looking to sell this stuff so i want to be sure what it is that i'm selling. If anyone has any suggestions on where a good place to sell these might be or what this type of stuff usually goes for you would be helping me out tremendously!!

There are 2 different looking floors. The darker is from the upstairs and the lighter is from the downstairs.

Thanks in advance for any help given!!

Comments (8)

• DerekJT83
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are a few different looking kinds of wood (at least to me). I will post a few more pictures maybe someone can help me with.

In this picture are pocket doors.

• DerekJT83
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pilars

• homebound
    11 years ago

Oak. Not sure if it's read or white.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

It is definitely older wood, look at the beautiful grain!
    Whatever it is red or white oak, it is beautiful. I am sure someone will want to buy.

I would try eBay, then Craigslist in your area. You can also go through an auction house, just call ahead to find out which location this sort of items go best in.

It is a shame to pull it out of a house, of course you have your reasons.

Good luck!

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Red oak 100% positive

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The flooring is oak, either red or white oak. As a ballpark figure, I paid $50 for 20 square feet of NEW tongue and groove oak flooring. If your flooring is already removed, nail-free and ready to install, you can ask about $1-2 a square foot. It's useful for repairs to old floors.

Check your local Craigslist in the "Materials" for sale section and see what others are asking.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

With the flooring...hard to tell from a distance. Could even be a mixture of red and white oak. You don't usually find red oak strip boards with the heartwood and sapwood in the same piece...specifically look at the board from the left. I would be very surprised if that board was red oak.

The door could be red oak or even chestnut. Same with the casing and trim; but with those I am thinking American chestnut, as much wasn't done with oak. Chestnut was plentiful and was much easier to mill and fashion and still had the grain characteristics of oak. Chestnut will be softer than oak (less dense). If the casing and trim are chestnut, you can probably fetch a good dollar selling it.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

How thick is the flooring? I have seen 3/8" product that looks like what you have. Also, if you pull up a few boards you may find the manufacturer mark on the back...along with an identifying mark as to specie and grade.