Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Re-attaching curled veneer and refinishing table

I have a small side table that belonged to my grandmother. It has a book-matched center (walnut or cherry?), with edges in a contrasting burled light wood. The finish on the top and edge is basically gone. The rest of the table is perfect: needs nothing. I remember a relative "helping out" Grandma by covering the table with contact paper back in the 60's, but that must have been because the finish was shot. Regardless...the table came down to me. I removed the contact paper carefully. Though the finish is gone, the veneer is flat, except for two places on opposite sides of the table, where there are joins. The veneer and the thin wood substrate it is attached to have curled up.

I want to refinish the table. What is the best way to re-attach those edges curling up before I tackle the finish? Due to their position on the edge, clamping will be easy. I have dry hide glue somewhere: is that better than using wood glue? Could someone explain the procedure to me?

Regarding the refinishing: I have never refinished anything made of veneer before. Should I use stripper or just carefully sand the remaining finish off?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The missing area is large enough to replace with a piece of mathcing veneer.

Try Constatines for small pieces for repair.

You may have a thickness problem with any patch since veneer has gotten thinner and thinner.

A small scrap of burl for turning pens might be worth cutting down to fit.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply, bobsmyuncle. Very helpful! For a little clarification: when you say "lightly dampen the raised veneer" to make it flexible, do you mean with water, or underneath with the fresh hide glue?

The missing piece is quite small. I was going to just cut a small price of wood to fit, and glue it in. I am an artist and am good at details.

I did not know that the chemical stripper would be preferable to sanding. I thought maybe because it is veneer I needed to be more careful, that the stripper might get into the veneer joints. But like I said above, I have only stripped solid wood before. I was going to carefully use something like 400 (by hand, of course). Learn something every day. Certainly the edge would be a pain to remove the finish entirely by sanding. I will have to wait for warmer weather to use the stripper outside, but I have a couple of projects needing it, so that is fine.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, brickeyee, I was typing when your reply came in! Thanks for your help as well.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I've never had stripper affect glue.

Sanding is problematic for three reasons:

- You'll go through a lot of sandpaper because it will clog up. And spend a lot of time.

- It won't completely remove the old finish. This can be a serious problem if you are going to stain but can also create splotchy finish.

- You really risk sanding through a veneer before you realize it. It happens... then you have a big problem.

You may also need to bleach out some of those stains in the top. Strip first and see what it looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: bleaching wood

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I've never had stripper affect glue. "

Methylene Chloride will not bother hide glue, but I would never trust any of the new water based strippers.

Moisture and veneer just do not work all that well together after the fact.

The finish dulled most likely because there was not enough of it to form up a new smooth layer, and ANY dirt on the surface became incorporated.

I have had enough mixed results using shellac to seal off silicone (especially on large surfaces) that I just check (often with paint thinner) and at even a slight hint relegate the project to fish eye eliminator and the equipment reserved for that purpose.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Not sure what a "water based stripper" is.

I've used methylene chloride, ATM (acetone/toluene/methanol), and NMP (N-Methylpyrrolidone) strippers without ever a problem. In fact Monday, I had two veneered pieces sitting in NMP, under plastic, for five hours while I was out on jobs and not a problem.

Since water is not a hazardous substance, it's not listed on my stripper's MSDS, but there is not much room for it based on other ingredients.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Not sure what a "water based stripper" is. "

Any of the new 'safer' strippers that promise to clean up with water.

Hide glue veneer and moisture are just a bad combination.

Moisture is one of the fastest ways to soften hide glue and weaken the bond.

Denatured alcohol is another.

You can force denatured alcohol into mortise and tenon joints held by hide glue and the glue turns to powder and loses all strength.

Water just turns it back into a gummy mess.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!