Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Best tool/clamp to use to fix this boo boo?

rjinga
14 years ago

I dont have any heavy duty clamps, so I'll need to borrow one from my BIL, or go buy some. I have the typical spring loaded utility clamps that are pretty tight once clamped, but are limited on what angle they can accomodate.

It appears that the screw on the inside lid of this chest has split and as such, has drawn it away from the top section where the two corners meet. When you press inward on it, it does go back snug where it should be.

what will I need to do to fix this? thanks for your help!!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

1. Get a bar clamp with pads that prevents damage when pressure is applied (like the one in the link below). They come in various lengths, so you will need one big enough to span the distance from one side of the top(?) to the other.

2. Get some decent woodworker's glue (like Elmer's).

3. Remove screw.

4. Spread crack as far apart as you can without cracking the wood further (a wedge will help to hold it open).

5. Spread glue into the crack using an artists brush. Where it gets really tight at the top of the crack, use the edge of a piece of paper to spread glue as far in as you can.

6. Apply the clamp across the top of the object so that the wood is drawn together. You will get glue squeezing out, which you can clean up with a combination of dry and wet paper towels.

7. Let it dry for at least an hour.

8. Re-install the screw, but don't seat it any harder than you have to.

If you need further info, re-post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar clamp

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I will just add a couple of points to the good advice above.

* Another way to get glue into a tight crack is to put a bead on one side then put a vacuum hose on the other and let it suck the glue into and through the crack.

* An expensive choice for clamps is Harbor Freight. Their bar clamps run just a few dollars, depending upon length, and are surprisingly good for that price. If the need is for more than a couple of feet, switch over to pipe clamps where you buy the heads and pick up some black plumbing pipe of the required length. Make sure whatever clamps you use either had soft heads or use a wood caul to prevent damage to your piece.

• jeannesavelle
    14 years ago

I'm a weekend fixer-upper and I personally use Epoxy for everything. System III makes some great products that have applicators that fit anywhere. Also, Bessey makes a great assortment of K-Body Bar Clamps which should be part of your must have list of tools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar Clamps

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

By all means, if you use them regularly, pay the money for the K-Bodies or the equivalent parallel jaw from other mfr. But if this is a one-time deal, there's no need to spend $100 or more for a couple premium clamps. For that matter, a clothesline tourniquet or a scrap board with wood wedges would also make an acceptable one-time clamp.

I buy the HF ones for times when I just need a lot of clamps, but particularly when I am working at someone's home and just need to leave a clamp on for more time than I'll be there. It costs me more than a couple of dollars to have to drive back and get it.

It is also not obvious from the photo, but I'd be tempted to just leave the screw out after the repair, if doing so does not jeopardize the integrity.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I came up with another solution which I already have and didnt have to spend any $$ on. I'm going to use a long fabric tie down that has a ratchet thingie on it, so I actually will do like a big tournaquet. I got on the phone with an old neighbor of mine, who is a jack of all trades (master of none :) and we brainstormed to come up with that. so I can wrap the tie down around the top of the lid and just sinch it up tight to put the pressure on the damaged area. should work.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

rjinga-
    That should work just fine. I've used those myself for things that were hard to get my clamps on. As long as it applies good sideways pressure and doesn't torque anything else it's wrapped around, you'll be good. I should have thought to mention that in my earlier post!