Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undermount sink cutout

Posted by jgarzasr (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 11:07

We are putting in Butcher block counter tops - and the ones we purchased are just the counter, where we have to cut the sink opening. We are installing an undermount - it is a rectangular sink w/ rounded corners. What would be the best way to cut this opening out? We will only get one chance - and can't afford a mistake. I thought about a skill saw to cut the straight part of the cutout, and then jig saw the curves. Or would a Router be a better choice to cut this out? and if so how would I make a jig for this. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undermount sink cutout

You definitely don't want to do it all with a router, but you could rough it out with a jigsaw and use a light router cut to clean it up. It would be best to use either a guide bushing or a flush-trimming bit with a bearing to guide the router along a template, which you'd have to make. I'd use a brand-new carbide cutter, and the larger diameter the better.

You could also plunge-cut the straight sections with a circular saw, jigsaw the curves as close as you dare and then clean up those curves with one of those sanding drums you can chuck in an electric drill. This method would require a steady hand, but avoid the risk of tearout.

o
RE: Undermount sink cutout

Hole saw the corners first. Lay out so as to leave approx. 1/8" material excess to desired finish cutout size. Connect the hole cuts with a skilsaw. Finish the last inch or so with a jigsaw/sawzall. Trim to finished size with a pattern bit in a router. You can screw the template on from the underside. 1/2" diameter bit will be fine. After the cut is perfected with the pattern bit, you can use a round-over bit (or whatever profile you choose) for the edge treatment.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here