Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5f5 stripper vs 3M Safest Stripper?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 10:14

Hi,

I need to strip paint from small areas of interior trim. The areas are about 2" by 2" squares.

My dad recommends 5f5. However, he is someone who doesn't worry about volatile vapors. (He's lived a long life and doesn't worry about things like that anymore. :-)

I've read on the Paint forum about 3M Safest Stripper, and there's a place nearby that carries that. I'd have to hunt down where to buy 5f5.

Any strong opinions on using 5f5 over 3M Safest Stripper? How much "volatile vapor" action with the 5f5?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
What is NMP?

Hi again,

I did a "5F5" search of the forum and found some postings that say:
"Do not use methyl chloride inside a house if you cannot keep doors and windows open."
and
"Look for a stripper with NMP instead of methyl chloride to work with less fumes."

So,what does NMP stand for?
So that I can find whether it is in the data sheets. :-)

Thanks!

o
RE: 5f5 stripper vs 3M Safest Stripper?

D'oh! (Homer Simpson)

I apologize for adding noise to the forum. I did a search on NMP and found the info.

Thanks to all of you who have posted this info to the forum in the past. This was a valuable link:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/finish7.html

You are all very cool to share your experiences and advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here