Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexia10_gw

restoring damaged wood paneling

alexia10
14 years ago

We recently bought a 1900 colonial that has a lot of wood paneling. The paneling is beautiful and stained a dark mahogany color. I am not sure exactly what type of wood it is but it does not look like pine. Anyway, I have 2 types of damage due to water.

First damage: The heating system went off and a pipe burst. We found out that paneling not directly touched by the water still got a foggy appearance. Actually some of the paneling far away of the disaster still got foggy. I assume that the moisture that got built in the room affected the top finish. I got a slightly moist rag and worked in an area of the wood for a while and it came shinning again. So it looks like the damage did not go through the whole finish. I think I have to buff all the wood again but I am wondering what kind of product I could use to make the job easier. Right now I am optimistic that I do not need to apply a new coat just restore the old. I am talking a lot of wood including two ceilings.

Second damage. That's hard.... At some areas that water run through the paneling I got straight lines that not only the finish but the stain got away too. So if you look at it you see dark panel with thin water lines go down. How I deal with it? I think I have to get the heavy chemicals out and strip the affected area and then re-stain and poly again. Any suggestion on the best way to deal with it? The areas with that kind of damage are manageable, a panel here and there not a whole wall.

Otherwise the paneling is not affected. It is not buckled or raised or falling apart. It is also the most beautiful feature of the home so we are determined to fix.

Thanks and sorry it is so long.

Comments (9)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

You might take a wait and see, until the wood has for certain reached it's original, pre-disaster moisture content.
    There are lots of ways to tackle this. The white discoloration can be tackled with a "water ring remover" product.
    The areas where the stain seems to have been affected really need to dry out completely. It may be that these areas would respond to a tinted wax or could need to be refinished and carefully color matched; but advise like that can't really be dispensed online, it needs to be seen in person.
    Casey

• alexia10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What's a tinted wax? Those wax sticks you can buy in various colors and look like crayons? Thanks!

• alexia10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Casey.

Let say I need to call a professional what kind of tradesman you think would be best suited for the job?
    I have been calling carpenters and painters and nobody looks interested.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

We found a person who specialized in commercial-sized wood finishing projects once. He was like a specialty painter. You might check with furniture stores and see who does their touch-up work, or with a well-established antique dealer or auction house.
    As per your other post elsewhere about polyurethaning it; My advice is don't use anyone who suggests poly. It was not used originally, and will not be the best compatible material for any repairs.
    Casey

• alexia10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the advise, Casey. I am calling people around and I have no luck. I am not very knowledgeable about the subject. I though you generally stain and then poly. I hope I can get some professional with experience.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Polyurethane is one type of varnish. Another type of varnish would have been used originally; either shellac (so-called "spirit varnish") or a non-poly oil varnish. It's a remote possibility that the paneling was lacquered originally. A good finish man can tell you what you have and the best way to repair it. Stripping is a last resort.
    Casey

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

You might be able to remove the finish blush by padding with a cloth dampened in denatured alcohol. If this is the original finish from 1900, there is a good chance it is shellac. The alcohol will dissolve the top layer and allow the moisture to escape. Just go lightly as it will remove the shellac if you get too heavy on rubbing or too wet. Test in an obscure spot before starting out on the middle of the panel.

Here are some

and
    pictures of a barrister's bookcase that sat in a leaky moving van under a mover's blanket for a couple of weeks. A quick wipe with a rag made the blush disappear immediately. I followed up with another wipe of a pad dampened in shellac.

• alexia10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bobsmyuncle: that's impressive. I ll give it a try. I have so much of this paneling in my home that there in no problem finding a hidden part.

I kept calling all day today but I had no luck. I got to talk to a decorated "restoration expert" (highly advertised) but he was only interested in striping and starting a new. No interest at all to do a "patch" job.

• alexia10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:

I tried denatured alcohol and it worked really well for all areas that were foggy. It was easy so I feel comfortable that I can finish the job myself.

Now I am left only with the areas that have the deeper discolored lines.