Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Stumped by how to do this window casing

weedyacres
15 years ago

We've got standard 2.25" builder's window casing throughout our house like this:

We've got a new addition with lots of windows on lots of walls. The problem is that one window doesn't have enough wall space for the casing. It's only got 1.75" before it hits the bend in the wall. It's the 3rd window from the left in the photo below.

Any ideas on how I can case these windows so it looks right?

Comments (6)

• User
    15 years ago

Is there enough room between those two windows for the trim if the wall were flat? And is the trim painted?

If so, I think I would try ripping the thin side trim at an angle. Simply measure the angle of the wall joint, divide in half, and rip the trim so the glued together piece fits in place. The only problem ----providing you have a table saw capable of that kind of rip(IMHO and experience a benchtop portable style TS will not do that) might be the miter at the top.

You might need two different pieces of stock, since you will lose part of the width of the saw blade.

Also, if you do try this suggestion, you do not necessarily need to glue the two pieces together before installing. Install the inner piece, then the outer.

You can then use filler and sanding to hide the joint, then paint.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trim will be painted, and there is 3.75" of wall on the next window over, so yes, the combined space in between would be fine if the wall was flat or if the bend was shifted an inch over.

Are you saying basically to "bend" the trim onto the next section of wall? That's an intriguing approach. But couldn't I accomplish it with just a straight rip? There'd be air space under the joint, and I'd lose the kerf, but putty could take care of both.

• User
    15 years ago

That might work, but I see two peoblems to start. First, there will be a gap at each end. Second, there woulkd bee much more area for moisture/humidity to affect---probably causing separations.

• waitingforthelight
    15 years ago

For the side case find your reveal (1/4") measure to the inside wall corner mark that on the back of the casing. Rip the casing at a 45 degree, short point is the back goes into the corner long point is the front and will die into the next wall. For your header and bottom case just match up the points you may need to cut a 45* on those to allow for the corner.

• weedavie1942
    15 years ago

If you look at the light in your windows reflection it is not centered. Someone screwed-up!!!!If it where me I would finish it as one unit. And it will be stunning and everyone will just love it. Mistakes sometimes create new look's. Good Luck.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

weedavie: which light (or window?) are you saying isn't centered?

I finally got everything cut, nailed, puttied, painted, and here's the final result. The addition is 2 stories, so here's the upstairs.

Close-up:

From a step back (don't even notice the "bend" unless you look for it).

And here's the beautiful view we can now enjoy.

Thanks, handymac for your genius!