Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Where to find tinted lacquers

Posted by klavier (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 9:09

I was reading in a wood working magazine I picked up at Barns & Noble that an alternative to paint is tinted lacquers. I am putting together some built in shelving that will be white or ivory colored. Tinted lacquer seems like it would go on real nice with my siphon feed sprayer and would not have the thick bulky appearance that an oil based paint would have. Any ideas on this, and where to find tinted lacquers?


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Where to find tinted lacquers

There are a very few available, or tint them yourself.

Try Mohawk.

Black and white are common, other colors less so.

You can use pigment or die to color them depending on the effect desired.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 12:23

RE: Where to find tinted lacquers

Lacquer toners are available in aerosol cans. But to color your own lacquer probably start withclear and add transtint dye in the desired color. Could also use the mixol kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: 24-piece Mixol Dye Universal Kit

RE: Where to find tinted lacquers

I found an excellent page on how using tinted lacquers. Step by step how to for tDIY. The author uses Valspar tinted lacquer products. I was unaware that Valspar has such products.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to cabinet/furniture white lacquer

RE: Where to find tinted lacquers

Valspar is one of the five or six major finish manufacturers in the world. I bought a can of the below and used as a trial before committing to some bunk beds I'm about to start.

Mine came pre-tinted to white, but a reasonable paint store should be able to tint any of it with their UTCs (Universal Tint Colors).

You will probably not find these at the big box stores, but specialty paint stores.

I have about 60 different colors of aerosol tints that I use in touch up, but I'd not recommend the small cans for anything but very small projects. Mohawk (as is Behlen, both divisions of RPM, another of the big six) and Guardsman (a division of Valspar) are the major suppliers, but there are a few other niche players.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I used on some Xmas presents

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here