Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naal_gw

Red cedar Slab for mantel

naal
9 years ago

Hi all -
I have a brick fireplace that is going to be refaced with stone. I've bought a red cedar mantel (63" x 9" x 4.5") that was cut this past summer from a tree that fell in the spring.

Originally I was going to install the mantle first and have the stone placed around it, but I am concerned of warping and shrinkage over the years and that leaving spacing between the mantle and the stone.( I do not mind the checking so much, as it's a rustic piece.)

Is this a valid concern? I'm trying to find a kiln, but in the DC area, it's a little tough. :-)

If I'm able to find a kiln, what should I expect in drying time and cost?

If no kiln is to be had, should I just chuck this piece and find another?

One other question: how would you treat it i.e. dewaxed shellac, polyurethane, boiled linseed oil, tung oil, etc.? I don't want to change the color, but preserve it as long as possible, realizing that with time, it will change.

Any and all advice is appreciated as I'm new and ignorant to this process.

Thanks so much for you assistance!

NAAL

Comments (6)

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

Hi NAAL,
    We have one somewhat similar to yours. Eastern Red Cedar wood once dried is normally considered dimensionally stable. Yours is probably already dried sufficiently. I would not do anything else to it to dry it.
    The bad news is that almost any treatment will add an amber tint.
    I would probably lean to a tung oil rub. But other methods should be ok also. We had someone finish ours and I forgot what he used.

• naal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Scotjute -

Thanks for the reply. How old is your piece? Have you seen any changes in size? Is yours a mantel also?

Why do you think my piece is sufficiently dried? Everything I've read is 1" = one year of drying time and this piece isn't even a year old. Just curious! :-)

NAAL

• klem1
    9 years ago

I have used red cedar in funiture for years and haven't had a problem yet. I built chests for my daughters over 20 years ago. They are 100% held togeather by glue and hand cut dove tails. From green stump to finished was less than 8 months. The only change in color when I coated them with 3 coats of Deft Brushing Laquer was a deeper red in heartwood and hint of gray on sapwood. One has never sat in direct sunlight and retains 80% natural color. A secound set in direct morning sun on occasion but was recconiziable as cedar at a glance when I refinished it in 2011 before granddaughter's mom gave it to her. I say install your mantel without wasting money on kiln drying. In the worst case if it srank (which I doubt will happen) a tube of MORTOR caulk will fill the crack. Look at rustic mantels,most have a gap between wood and rock anyhow.

• User
    9 years ago

Water based poly will not color the wood. It is a bit milky when applied but dries completely clear.

• fireweed22
    9 years ago

I don't have experience with it but I believe there are pour-on epoxies that leave a glassy finish, maybe look into it.

• naal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you all for responding. I feel better now about installing it before the ledge stone goes up.

I will also look at the recommendations for finishing it too!

NAAL