Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you prevent chalky finish on pine floor knots?

Posted by dora_2008 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 8:34

Planning to start installing a new knotty pine floor, wide planks - 748 sq ft of it.....I plan to use a stain and shellac all in one product. The stain color will be an antique walnut.Recently my brother did the same thing however, I notice now that the knots have taken on a chalky finish which is very noticeable, especially when looking at it from a distance. How do I aviod that? And since I have such a large area to do should I stain the entire area all at once or work in sections? I am afraid of getting an uneven tone. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you prevent chalky finish on pine floor knots?

Shellac is not a very durable finish for a floor.
It will have white spots the first time damp shoes walk across it, and wear badly in traffic areas.

Almost ANY finish is more durable than shellac (except plain wax).

o

Actually I may not be using the correct word (shellac). The company I am buying the wood from sells the stain as well and the stain is combined with a sealer whereby when you have scratches or worn spots you can just redo that area and not have to strip and redo. So what do you think is causing the whitish marks on the knots?

o

In my opinion, a product that has color and finish in one is a bad choice. If it is scratched or worn off the bare wood shows and is difficult or impossible to touch up properly. You would do better to apply a stain followed by a finish coat.

White in the knots is usually caused by the topcoat being applied before the stain is adequately dried. I don't know what would cause it in a tinted finish.

o

I now know the product that my brother used. It is a combination of Danish oil with 40% varnish. As far as the chalky finish on the knots, could this be because he did not condition first? I am hearing alot about the Waterlox product. Unfortunately I cannot find it in Quebec. Any suggestions as an alternative?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here