Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

How can I hang this shelf...hardware needed?

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

I would like to hang this shelf without seeing the hardware. Can anyone make some recommendations? Thanks, Richie

Comments (3)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

You could try a 'keyhole' router bit to cut pockets in the back.

Put the screws in the wall first into studs, then measure and route the shelf to match.

There are al;so metal 'key-hole' hanger plates available that sit in a shallow round recess with a slightly deeper area to clear the screw head.
    The are a take off on an escutcheon plate.
    The screws holding them are usually rather small, so you have to watch weight.

A small ledger on the wall into a pocket on the back of the shelf also works.
    If you have the shelf reasonably high you can put the screws in from the top of the shelf to hold it against the ledger.
    The screws do not have to be especially large for this, since all they are doing is holding the shelf against the ledger (not bearing any weight themselves).

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

The person who made the shelf should have considered how to hang it with concealled fasteners, if that was the intention.

When I make something like that, I allow for a Z-channel in the back. The Z-channel is 3/16" thick, so the top and sides are constructed to make a 3/16" void in the back, so the channel can be hidden from sight. You could mortisse 3/16" away from the center of the backside, leaving the perimeter intact, so the channel will be totally invisible once the thing is mounted. This may be easier than aligning keyhole slots with screws.

The Z-channel is 2 identical parts. One attaches to the wall like a ledger. The other attaches to the backside of the shelf, upside-down to mate with the part on the wall. The shelf slides down to lock into the Z-channel. It is the same principal as Brick suggests, but different hardware.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

You can use countersunk screws and plugs. You can cut your own plugs using matching wood or even make the plugs black. Using the key hold router bit on a router table is also a good idea.