Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
masonite palazzo interior door - hollow or solid?

Posted by confused_newbie (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 2:01

hi all,

i went to home depot today to look for an interior door for my bathroom, and i wanted a solid core MDF. i like the designs of the masonite palazzo doors, but i was told by the home depot guy that it is hollow cored. it does feel solid though. on the label it doesn't say whether it is solid or hollow cored, and i couldn't find an answer from the masonite site. the home depot guy didn't seem to know what he is doing, that's why i am asking here :) thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: masonite palazzo interior door - hollow or solid?

The Masonite doors are available in their "Safe and Sound" series which are filled Masonite doors. It's some sort of a particle board filling so it's not as heavy as solid MDF but much heftier than a hollow door. Look around the millwork desk at HD there's probably a pamplet or two describing the Masonite line.

o

thanks - i looked around and you are right, they do have the safe n sound doors which are somewhat like solid core. the thing i am confused about is, the masonite solid core costs exactly as much as the safe n sound, so which one is better? if the safe n sound is in between solid and hollow, why should i spend just as much on a safe n sound vs a solid core? their website and pamplets aren't very informative...

o

Solid core doors are just solid thru and thru, safe n sound are solid, fire rated and sound proof. Fire rated from 20 mins up to 60 mins, giving you time to exit if there is a fire. Solid core doors donot block the noise from coming thru.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here