Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please advise on wood stain to achieve this look ?

Posted by sonaliagrawal (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 1:50

My kitchen ceiling currently is wide maple planks(unpainted) along with white painted beams running crosswise.

My ceiling inspiration is:

Cabinets are going to be a creamy white, white trim and crown molding, granite countertops, glass tile backsplash, and light colored natural stone tiled floors.

I think for the beams I will just use an espresso colored paint like Benjamin Moore Bittersweet Chocolate:

Can anybody recommend stain options to achieve the look of the planks like in my inspiration pic? I am new to staining so brand / color / as well as any resources for instructions will be really helpful. Pictures will be great to. Oh, this will be DIY btw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please advise on wood stain to achieve this look ?

You will need to use a gel stain, as Maple is hard to stain to get an even finish.

General Finishes makes some dark finishes, like what you want.

http://woodworker.com/golden-pine-gel-stain-qt-mssu-139-673.asp

o

I would advise getting a powdered analine dye that mixes with water, color could be cherry. Mix in warm water and strain through a paper paint strainer or a coffe filter into a jar. To apply use a old spray bottle like a Windex bottle wiping with a rag as you go. After it dries for about two days, and the color looks even, apply two or three coats of waterbased flat or semigloss. You could also rent or borrow a spray gun and spray it. Be sure to try the total process on a large scrap of maple first. You can order all this stuff on line. Hydracoat is a good clear finish.

o

There are a lot of companies out there that finish and refinish woodwork. Sherwin Williams, like a lot of other companies makes different kinds of stains. I believe the original poster wanted advice about the kind of stain to use like Amrad gave him because he wanted to do the work himself. The advertisement on the site you directed him to is misleading and false.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here