Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stkgrl_gw

Which Tool to Use?

stkgrl
15 years ago

Okay, I have a project that's got me stumped and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have some rosettes that are approx. 3" x 3" x 1.5" thick. They are too thick for my project. I'd like to reduce the thickness to about 1/2". What tool can I use to trim these down and how do I do it without losing a fingertip?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tami

Comments (7)

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

This is a tricky one. It's possible to do this with hand tools by marking a line, clamping the rosette in a vise, rough-cutting with a handsaw and cleaning up with a plane, but it takes a fair bit of skill and some tools you may not own. The best power tool for the job is a bandsaw, which you also may not have. Do you know anyone with a better-equipped shop?

• stkgrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought about a band saw, but I've had problems in the past with the saw blade bending, resulting in a not-so-straight cut. I was hoping for a power tool option, but I may have to opt for hand tools. FYI, I have in my shop a chop saw, table saw, router & table, rotozip, dremel multimax, and other hand power tools (circular saw, sawzall, etc.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Tami

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Use a hot glue gun to attach a handle (just a 2' long 3" wide plank) so the block can safely be ripped on a table saw. Set the blade at half height and make two passes for a safer cut.
    Casey

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

Band saws aren't inherently so problematic -- it might be worth making sure the blade is sharp, correctly tensioned, the guides and fence properly adjusted. Otherwise, Casey's idea is a good one.

• stkgrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the idea - just to clarify, where would I attach the handle? On top, side, or on the backside, so I can push it through?

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

Easiest thing to do would be to rip a piece of scrap to 3" wide (same as the rosette) and glue the back of the rosette to one side, right in the middle. You can then put the back of the scrap stick against your TS fence, cut halfway through the rosette, flip the stick end-for-end and cut the rest of the way through. Just make the stick long enough that you can keep your hands well away from the blade.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Exactly as jon1270 stated. A upgrade would be a small stop block to back up the edge of the rosette "just in case" the glue fails.
    Casey