Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Must cedar be strained?

Posted by alyx_c (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 1:18

I just had a pergola built. The frame is treated wood and the top is cedar to prevent the 2x2 from the warping tat you get with treated wood. I will be staining the treated wood white in about 3 months. Looking at it the cedar would look just as good staying it's natural color. Will I have to stain it with a clear or will it maintain it's color? Thanks, Alyx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Must cedar be strained?

Either should work. If you don't put a clear coat on it over time it will lose some of it's looks.

o

It will begin to bleach out to a driftwood gray color almost immediately if left untreated and will need the finish reapplied almost yearly to keep it from graying.

o

Clear coat often provide no UV protection.

o

Western red cedar if exposed to direct sunlight and rain and snow will turn grey first and then start to darken until it's black over many years. If you keep it out of direct sun, even outside, it can keep its color. For instance, many soffits on houses around here are cedar and they do not change color, although they will require some sort of clear finish when installed.

This post was edited by rmtdoug on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here