Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly973

Crown molding - does it match throughout the house?

Kelly973
9 years ago

I'm starting to do some crown molding. I'm doing my kitchen cabinets first. Would I use that same molding over the door in the kitchen? Do I use the same molding I'm using on the kitchen cabinets in the dining room at the ceiling, the living room, master bedroom? Is it supposed to be the same throughout the house?

Comments (4)

• renais1
    9 years ago

You should decide what you like and go with that. There is no compelling reason do match throughout a house.
    Renais

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

It was standard pre-1940s to have a variety of moldings and other finishes in a house, descending in elaboration and expense. The species of wood may change, the finish may change, and the style changes as you go from guests to servants.

It's called "architectural subordination".

Public areas - The fanciest, to impress people with. This may be wood with great graining, or elaborately carved and painted (pale paint makes carvings show up well).

Owner's areas - Usually just as fancy or almost so, because they deserve it.

Guest areas, such as bedrooms and baths - Similar to owner's areas. Often painted trim in a tasteful pastel.

Children's areas - quite plain, often painted for ease of care.

Servants and utility - no more than needed to cover the gaps, and painted with a sturdy enamel. Would be plain poplar or pine, minimal shaping.

If more than one door opens from a public area, the one used by the high-status people will have more elaborate trims ... a useful tip for navigating large old houses.

One 1870s house I visited frequently in VA was a clear illustration of it ... even the staircase changed style from floor to floor. Bottom floor was all carved cherry and walnut with wide trims, above it was all oak and more carving but less elaborate, above that was the children's rooms which were quite simple oak for the era (we'd all die to get that!) and the servants quarters were basic flat board trims. Kitchen and tradesmen entry was very plain painted pine.

The door from the elaborate cherry-paneled carved dining room to the butler's pantry and the kitchen beyond that was cherry, but only lightly carved and much narrower than the trim on the door leading from the dining room to the drawing room. It clearly said "unimportant people go through here".

Often those doors were made to become invisible when shut, matching the panelling or wall color and having no trim at all.

This explains it, with pictures:
    http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/architectural-subordination-moldings-trim/

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

here's an example of the hidden doors, in the Oval Office. It leads to the secretary's office.

{{gwi:2137774}}

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

lazygardens...of all the historical houses i've been in, i've seen the moldings you're talking about .and after 100s of times , i never connected the differences. thanks for the schooling. btw, if you want to see a house that'll blow your socks off, try the tour of dooley(sp?) mansion at maymont park in richmond va. it's worth the trip.
    kelly 973... using the same molding throughout the house makes things more simple. no worrying if you have enough for this type for this room or that room. and any time you transition to another room you don't have to figure out what looks best or how to cut the joint. but that's the only reason to go that route.