Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharkus

Testing a PLC

pharkus
14 years ago

I know this is slightly beyond the scope of this forum but it's not a far stretch to imagine that someone here has experience with these things.

I just acquired an Allen Bradley SLC-150 Processor Unit. I intend to resell the darn thing, but would like to be able to give a potential buyer some idea of its functionality.

I went ahead and wired up an AC cord to "115/230 VAC" and "115V NEUT" and plugged it in. "DC POWER" and "CPU FAULT" light up. The latter flashes/flickers a couple times so something in there is doing something, but I have no idea if it's doing what it should be.

This one does not have the optional battery, and has definitely been unplugged for more than a couple weeks. It definitely has no program in RAM, but it does have an EEPROM. Of course, I have no idea what program is in the EEPROM. My brief google searches have indicated that there has to be a comment added in the program in order to allow it to be autoloaded from the eeprom, and I don't know if that comment is in there.

Will a complete lack of a program cause the "CPU FAULT" LED to be lit? What further do I need to do in order to get this thing to pretend to do something functional? Downloading something and fabricating a cable to attach to a PC is not beyond my ability if that's what it'll take...

Comments (3)