Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI Slave Circuit

Posted by Bonebag (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 23:20

Ok..I can't seem to find any info on this. I have an unfinished basement and am wiring a kitchen. I plan on two circuits for my outlets (20amp). I would run one 12/2 to the first outlet and then run the load out and down to a 4" deep metal junction box in the basement mounted on the joist wall. From there I would tie the outgoing wires together that would travel to the slave outlets. Is this ok? I don't see any difference in the actual circuitry...just not having to run two wires one in and one out of every single outlet, not to mention the drilling and routing of all those wires. One wire is easier... I would rather not drill and run two wires to every outlet and have a cramped box and it would be easier to do it this way. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI Slave Circuit

You've lost me. I don't see two circuits in your description.

If you're asking, can you run all your receptacles back to some common point rather than daisy chaining them along, the answer is yes. However, you need to make sure you don't overfill the box capacity of the box you're using as the source point (talk about cramped boxes).

o
kitchen

Note, the kitchen needs 2 20A circuits for its receptacles and this can not be shared with other outlets (such as the basement). Only the kitchen COUNTERTOP receptacles require GFCI by the way (as do the receptacles in the unfinished basement).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here