Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring a pump - can I screw this up?

Posted by weedflasher (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 23:12

I'm not sure if my submersible water pump is a 110 or 220 volt. If I get the voltage wrong in this, can I destroy my pump?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring a pump - can I screw this up?

Ummm...YEAH.

o

The pump has a durable data plate on the side. Easy to read with the pump out of the well. If the pump is already in the well, how was it powered previously?

o

Pump was already in the well, so I don't have access

o

So how it was powered before? Why are you asking about 110 or 220? Or is this a new well, you dropped the pump down the well and didn't look at the pump's label? No instructions?

o

You have to know what it is... Look at the well head. Many installations place that information at the top for this very reason. As jreagan points out, the other hint is how the thing was originally wired.

Note that it's not even necessarily straight 120 or 240.
I have a variable drive pump in my well. While the controller is fed with single phase 240, the actual motor in the well is 120V three phase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here