Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV could be a fire hazard now?

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 22:43

Last night there was no volume on my 10 year old TV. My husband moved it to look at the back but said he did nothing. We did move cords in the process, to get them out of the way. The back of the TV has lots of cords-stereo etc. When he put it back in place the volume was back on. A friend at work said it could have a short which caused the volume loss and if so is now a fire hazard.

Should I keep the fire extinguisher handy and start shopping for a new TV?

Thank you,

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV could be a fire hazard now?

it would not be a short, it would be a open. as in a open connection from a loose cable or connector. when your husband moved things the cable reconnected. if it continues to give you problems, he should change out the audio cables.

o

Thank you! That's good news as I'm not ready to buy a new TV.
Ginny

o

Be careful with lots of cords, especially if they are curling around on themselves or each other or running underneath anything. That is a fire hazard. Our barn burned down from a bale of hay being placed on top of a plugged in cord that was laying in a curl. I think the fire marshal said it is called arcing, but am not sure about the terminology, just the result. I also had a colleague at work whose house burned from a cord running under a desk corner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here