Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
localhero

GFI breaker or outlet?

localhero
14 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have run two new circuits to the counter top outlets. Is it a better choice to use a gfi breaker to protect each circuit or to use one gfi outlet on each circuit to protect that location and the outlets download of it?

I haven't priced the gfi breakers but other than price is there an advantage to either method?

Thanks,

John

Comments (9)

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

The GFCI receptacle will be a bit cheaper. The labor is generally the same in most situations.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

The breakers are usually more expensive, by a factor of 2 or more. Labor to put one in should be about the same. So it should be cheaper to put in one GFCI receptacle on each circuit and use it to protect the "downstream" receptacles.

Remember those small, counter top appliance circuits need to be 20 amps.

• localhero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I've got 12/2 w/ground going to each circuit and haven't bought the new breakers yet but I know to make them 20's.

If I want two outlets in each box, I should be able to put 1 gfi next to a regular 3-prong outlet, yes? I don't think I've ever seen that configuration but I don't know why not...

• localhero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Side question....when I first started this thread I think I remember checking a box to be notified via email if there were replies. I never got any emails and I can't find any way to subscribe to this or any other thread. Am I missing something obvious? I've never seen a forum without a "subscribe to thread" option so I'm assuming it's there...

Thanks,
    John

• hendricus
    14 years ago

One other thing. a GFCI breaker is in the main panel and you have to go there to reset it. A GFCI outlet is right on the countertop, handier to reset.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"If I want two outlets in each box, I should be able to put 1 gfi next to a regular 3-prong outlet, yes?

The switch plates are out there.

A Decora switch on one side and a duplex receptacle on the other.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

They make the plates as Brick describes, but you could also put in a decora duplex receptacle as well and the variety of plates available to you becomes much larger.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

The power from the service panel comes into the GFCI on the "line" side. You feed whatever other receptacles you want to protect (in the same box or elsewhere) by feeding them from the "load' side of the GFCI receptacle. It's usually pretty clearly labeled and I know that Leviton has a little yellow sticker over the load side connections.

Remember too that there are some requirements for placement for countertop appliance receptacles. Very generally speaking, no point along the countertop should be more than 2' from a receptacle.

To the best of my knowledge there's no way to "subscribe" to a thread in this forum. Never tried the email method either.

• localhero
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the gfi breakers for my box are only $30 so I'll probably go that route and keep the kitchen outlets all looking homogeneous. I do see the point of having to go to the box to reset a breaker if it flips though.

As for the placement, I'll have them close to 4' apart except for the wall with the sink. That has a 7' slider window and the trim will just about sit on the backsplash so there's no room for outlets there. There will be outlets on either side of the window so given the framing, they'll be 8' apart+/-. Regardless of code, their will be plenty of outlets.

I did go into "my page" and again checked the box to recieve emails and I'm getting them now.

Thanks for the answers,
    John