Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New oven wire correct size??

Posted by hairyjr (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 22:24

We're thinking about buying a new convection oven to replace our old one. We have 10-3 G NMB 600v wire with 2 30amp breakers currently to our present oven. The new oven states it needs 240v with 40amp breaker with 6.9KW @ 240v. Is the wire we have big enough to handle the new oven if I the breakers were changed to 40amp? I don't want to over heat the wire and cause a fire. Also when it says it needs a 40amp breaker do they mean 2 40amp breakers or 2 20amp breakers that equal 40amps.Don't worry I do plan to hire an electician to do whatever work I need done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New oven wire correct size??

No, absolutely not. 10 gauge can not be used for 40A. Your existing oven should be on a two-pole 30A breaker (which may be or appear to be two 30A breakers with the handles tied together). WHen they say 40A they mean a two pole 40A breaker, not 2-20A.

o

Thanks for the information. We won't be getting that oven.

o

So 30A with 10gauge is OK?

o

Yes, 30A is fine on 10G. If the run is very long (and we're talking hundreds of feet ) you might be advised to size up, but as far as legality is concerned and most practical installations, 10G will do it.

As stated, ovens are 240V devices and will be fed by a two-pole breaker which may appear to be two single breakers tied together or one breaker that's typically twice as wide as the singles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here