Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help, this is crazy

Posted by tropicals9b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 22:10

So two weeks ago we finally had our fuses upgraded to breakers. The electrician came in the house and asked, "Do your lights blink? Do you have high power bills?". I answered yes to both, in fact, our power bills are 3 times higher than our friends with the same size houses and even larger houses. So he shows me the drop from the power company - about a foot long and all black and burny looking. He replaced it and our consumption has gone from 89kw a day to 39kw a day. Is this from the breakers or that undersized drop?

Unfortunately I didn't keep the old drop, but if I had, would I have a leg to stand on to make the power company pay us back for 15 years of $500. - $650. a month power bills for a 1650 sf house? I really just always thought it was because I kept the air on 72.

Thank you for your responses.

Val

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help, this is crazy

what exactly did he replace?
The lines from the transformer on the pole to the top of the mast is power company owned. There, the wires splice together and from the top of the mast, down the pole into the meter and so on is customer owned.

o

Around here, you would be wasting your time.

o

He only replaced the part on the roof from the power company line to our home's lines. The junction maybe? But he said it was the power company's part.

o

"He only replaced the part on the roof from the power company line to our home's lines."

If this part is before the meter, it will have no effect on your power bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here