Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with telephone lines (no dial tone)

Posted by hotwire (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 22:06

Today my home phone made a partial ring (more like a chirp), when I answered it there was no-one there and no dial tone. It was working last night. None of my other jacks have dial tone now. I checked the box outside, plugged my phone into it and I have dial tone to the box so it's not the phone company. I took out the jack that the phone was connected to, the green wire was black on the end (but the rest of it is copper where it is showing). It broke off when I took the jack off so I'm not sure it was connected.

This is the only phone I had installed as we just moved into our house and are repainting. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but at the time the phone chirped my husband was reinstalling baseboards and other trim in the hallway but not near where the phone was. He said the phone lines would not have been run at the height he was nailing, but I thought he may have hit a wire which may have caused it. Is that possible?

Does anyone have any idea what I should check next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with telephone lines (no dial tone)

It very well may have been a nail that caused the outage. What you need to do now is check the continuity of the wires that run from the box outside to the jacks. To do this you would need a meter or a test light. Take them loose outside and unplug all phones, answering machines etc... then check to see if they are connected to or touching each other, or if one of them is broken.

o

"He said the phone lines would not have been run at the height he was nailing, but I thought he may have hit a wire which may have caused it. Is that possible?"

There are no rules about height for running phone wires or even electric cables).

He easily could have hit the phone line.

One common way of concealing phone wires for years has been to pull up quarter round and run them in the gap between the baseboard and the floor.

o

Red and Green are the standard two wires used for phones. If the green one broke, reconnect it.

o

the green wire was black on the end (but the rest of it is copper where it is showing).

that black part bothers me . . .

o

I did reconnect the green wire when I found it. I cut the black part off, then reconnected it. The black part of the green wire bothered me too, so I bought a new jack, but have not had time to install it yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here