Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red wire

Posted by sconti_95 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 26, 06 at 22:06

Am getting ready to hang a ceiling light fixture. The fixture has a black (power), white (neutral) and a copper wire. The ceiling outlet box has an additional red wire. What do I do with the red wire. Do I just cap it and tuck it away with the other wires? I know that black goes with black, white with white. Also, do I ground the two copper wires to the grounded junction box. Would appreciate some help on this. Thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red wire

"I know that black goes with black, white with white."

Not at all true all the time.

First, what was the old fixture wired to? This will be a clue.

I will all but guarantee the red is a switch leg. So the connections at the ceiling would be:
-Fixture white to ceiling white(s).
-Fixture black to ceiling red.
-ALL grounds together and to the box (if it is not already).

o

The red wire is PROBABLY for a fan, but don't assume anything. Black with black, white with white is USUALLY right but can change, say in switches. Again, don't assume. Testing with a meter can help. Yes the copper wires - when you say two wires, do you mean the one copper (earth/ground) in the ceiling box, plus the ground wire that comes with your fitting? Generally yes you'd put them to the ground screw on the junction box BUT - where I am, anyway, (British Columbia) you can't ground two wires to that screw, you're supposed to use a pigtail and then use a marette (connector) on all the others in the box. Pigtails are usually recommended and sometimes required in junction boxes. It sounds as if you're sort of new to this, you really can't go past a book like "wiring simplified" or the "123 of wiring" in home depot, to give you the basics. It's important that you know the basics and the techniques used, so you do stuff according to your local code.

o

OK good point re the switch leg. Is the fixture (I assume you're replacing one) controlled by more than one switch, for one?

o

Thanks for the reply's. This is a new home. Never a ceiling fixture in place. Fixture is controlled by one switch, therefore I am thinking the red wire may be a fan wire. If that is the case, do I just cap it and stuff it in the fixture recess with the other wires. Your information is appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here