Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding an old box A/C Outlet in same wall bay

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 21:21

Hi,
I am want to wall mount a new tv and need to add an additional a/c outlet 36" higher on the wall in the same stud bay.
What is the best way to snake the wire up the wall from the existing electrical box to the new box?
If I run a snake from inside the existing box to the new opening in the wall for the new box, will I be able to pull the new wire into the box?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding an old box A/C Outlet in same wall bay

If it's metal open one of the knockouts at the top of the lower box and slide a plastic Romex connector (with the leading end pointing up) 5 feet down a coil of wire. Attach the cut end of the Romex to a short piece of snake and thread the snake and Romex from the inside of the lower box to the wall opening above which you have properly located and neatly cut to accept your new box. Pull the snake until the connector stops at the top of the lower box, then push the conector up until it snaps in place. If the box is not metal then the best way to enter the lower box is from the outside [(send the snake up through one of the slotted one way openings, attach the wire from the new hole and pull 1 foot of wire down into the existing box). Don't use a connector]

Arlington makes some nice boxes for this application.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mount TV box

o
Recessed Media Wall Plate w/ Duplex Receptacle - White

Here's one supplier.

Here is a link that might be useful: monoprice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here