Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_kaiser_gw

Combo Power/LV Box

mike_kaiser_gw
14 years ago

There a couple of companies that make combination junction boxes for power (for, say, a receptacle) and low voltage (say, for COAX). Arlington has an old work box available (which I need) and Carlon is new work. Unfortunately, both have integral NM clamps.

What I need is a box that can accept FMC or armored cable.

Anybody see something like this?

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Check the listings, but I cannot recall a plastic box listed for anything bu NM.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't been able to find a box either but I thought I'd toss it out there to see if anyone had seen something.

My problem is that I put a low voltage box for cable TV in a corner. Now it's been decided that an outlet in the same corner would be really nice so that the TV's power cord is tucked neatly in the corner as well. I've got a little problem with space and I'd like to keep things looking like the rest of the room.

In the end what I'd like to arrange things so I can use 2 gang combination plate (receptacle & coax).

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

• fotostat
    14 years ago

Why do you need to use FMC or armored cable?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why do you need to use FMC or armored cable?

Local code requires conduit but short runs of flexible metal conduit/cable are permitted for remodel applications where running EMT isn't practical.

• fotostat
    14 years ago

Ohh, Chicago?

Can't you just install a separate single gang box right next to the existing LV box?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could install a single bang box but for appearance it's important that I use a 2-gang cover. I suppose I could carefully cut the drywall and install a second box. Call me a little anal but I like things nice and neat.

As for Brickeyee's comment, Arlington's literature doesn't specify any cable/conduit other than to say they've included a NM-B connector. Is that to be interpreted as NM only? Is there a reason a box connector for EMT/FMC/MC couldn't be used as long as a separate ground wire is included???

In my search I came up with an offering from Hubbell called a "JLOAD". It's a combination LV (coax/CAT5/phone) and power device that fits in a special single gang box. New construction only but it looks pretty slick.

• fotostat
    14 years ago

I have one of those JLOAD devices, I got it free with some other stuff in a promotion from Hubbell.

I'm doubting that you are going to find a plastic box that is listed for use with BX or metal flex.

What you can do, if you need both on a 2 gang plate, is to remove the current box with the coax in it, replace it with a metal box and run the bx/flex to that box and install a receptacle. Then push the coax thru a hole right next to the receptacle and cover it with a 2 gang plate. You can use anchors and screws to hold the plate to the wall above and below the coax jack, then just paint the screw heads white.

I don't see what the problem is using two separate single gang plates, especially in a corner. I am also very anal, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a neat installation. If we were talking about light switches in a nice entryway it would be a different story.