Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on AC condenser unit

Posted by lesliew (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 21:13

My home has three phase wiring, and last year, when I had to replace a five ton AC condenser, the AC company told me I either had to use a three phase unit (commercial, and more expensive), or they would have to redo the wiring. I told them I would prefer not to jury rig the wiring, and wound up spending almost five thousand dollars for the unit. I had a smaller unit replaced this year, by another company, which turned out to be single phase. When I mentioned my relief, and told the guy the story about the larger unit, he looked at it, and said it was single phase. I went back to my contract, and checked out what was written, and it definitely said three phase, thirteen seer. I checked the model number online, and found it to be a single phase, eleven seer unit. Obviously the installer took me for a ride, but my main question is - what did they have to do to the wiring to use a single phase unit, and should I be concerned about the wiring, as wlel as about the fraud involved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on AC condenser unit

Probably only had to cap the unused third phase wire.

o

If you wire across two phases of a 3-phase circuit, won't the resulting waveform be a bit whacky? The two phases are 120* apart, not 180*, so won't the voltage be non-steady?

o

Using two legs of a three-phase system is simply single-phase. there is no problem with the voltage.

Two legs of a 120/208V 3-phase system is 208V.

o

If you wire across 2 phases, you'll typically have a "steady" 208V. Whether or not the AC will run on that is another question. Unless designed for that voltage, my guess is that the lifespan will be shortened considerably.

o

A delta service was once quite popular for larger residential HVAC installs. If it is a 120/240 delta service, a wire nut cap on the "wild leg" makes it essentially the same as 120/240 single phase. Since the circuit capacity will be lower that way, my advice is to find a reputable HVAC company to look over the install. Then take that information and your contract to a good, mean lawyer.

Fraud seems fairly common in the HVAC trade, when I had a unit installed, a 2 ton condenser was "accidentally" placed in the carton marked as 2.5 ton.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here