Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timer runs backwards??

Posted by dave_mn (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 21:06

I have one of those cheapy little timers that use the little pegs to trip it on and off. I think it is turning backwards. Can the polarity affect this or is it shot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timer runs backwards??

With respect to such devices, AC power has no polarity. The "polarity" is in the premises wiring standards. If your device is running backward, the starting method on the synchronous motor has gone haywire. I have no idea how to repair it. Buy a new one.

o
RE: Timer runs backwards??

... not necessarily "haywire", so much as catatonic.

Most of those little motors will run either direction once started that way. If the starting arrangement fails to work at all, it'll just run whatever way it feels like.

The least-involved solution is to unplug it and plug it back in, hoping it'll start the correct direction this time. Of course, there's a 50/50 chance it won't, and the visible motion of a timer is so slow it'll take hours to determine whether or not it did.

If there's a way you can manually exert some force on some part of the timer that spins in use, do so in the correct direction while plugging it in. This'll at least increase your chances.

Or, as bus_driver proposes, buy a new timer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here