Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding a dimmer

Posted by knitbug (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 20:54

I want to add a lite dimmer to several rooms....I removed the switch plate in a b.r.and the switch is "back-wired" with 2 silver? wires. There are no copper wires that I used in a previous home which just wrapped around a screw. The 2 wires that are there are not really flexable, they are just stuck into the holes on the switch. My question is...can I an inexperienced housewife add this dimmer with that kind of wiring or do I need to call someone! Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding a dimmer

I don't know where the original responses went, but there are two issues here:

1. You release the backwires usually by inserting a small screwdriver in the rectangular hole next to the place the wire is inserted and pulling on the wire at the same time. Sometimes, it's easier to just cut the wire and start over.

2. If your wire is silver, you better investigate whether the wire is indeed aluminum. If so both the existing receptacle (with it's backwiring) and probably what you envision replacing it with (most dimmers have little pigtail wires on it which you can not just connect via common siring nuts) is a severe fire danger.

Look for writing on the outside of the plastic containing the wire, if you can't see that, scrape a little of the metal (power off at the breaker) to see if the wire is copper colored or silver (aluminum) before proceeding!

o
RE: adding a dimmer

Thanks for your response to my ?. I am thinking that the house wire is indeed aluminum due to the color and the dimmer I have does not have any wiring ,only screws and holes for back wiring. So.....are you advising that if the house wiring is aluminum I should not add the dimmer and get help? Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here