Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighted Switch Flickers

Posted by LarryInIowa (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 20:53

I have a lighted wall switch that has a flicker. Its a standard toggle wall switch, a very ordinary switch.

It has started to flicker. I thought the bulb in the switch was neon and would last almost forever.

Does anyone know what the flicker means? is the switch (light in it) going bad? Or is it an indication of some other issue like a loose connection?

I'm concerned about safety. Our house is 100 years old. Its been rewired, but you just never know what the possibilities are.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighted Switch Flickers

It could be the neon bulb inside is dying or you've change the load. The internal light in that thing is designed to be connected to a resistive load like a incandescent lamp. If you've put a CF or something else odd on the switch now, it may be causing the neon to not light consistently.

It's unlikely to be a safety issue either way.

o

Neon lamps don't last forever. If it's 10-15 years old, it's probably just starting to fail.

An interesting characteristic of neon lamps is that as they degrade, often they'll glow steadily again as long as you're shining a light on them. (Makes them kind of useless, I know. :)

o

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll install a new switch and see what happens.

o

Before replacing the switch you should see what it is controlling.

If CFLs have replaced incandescent in the fixtures switched the neon light cannot get any current to glow.

o

Hi my name is Jon and about your flickering wall switch it does not mean to much. I grew up in a house that had all lighted wall switches in it and 4 of them throughout my house always flickered 24 hours everyday and they never broke or burned out and there was nothing wrong with the lighted switches and it does not mean anything other than a small glitch in the switch. My friend Marry Beth also lives in a house her whole life to that has lighted switches that flicker to and hers have lasted just fine to. You have nothing to worry about what so ever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here