Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Additional wires in subpanel feed conduit?

Posted by Bob_on_JennysCreek (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 20:16

I installed a sub-panel in our garage/barn. 100 amps. Put 2-2-2-4 mobile home service cable in 2 inch conduit. Now I would like to connect my backup generator at the barn instead of the house. (outside) I have an interlock on the main panel, so would need to run #10 wire (for 30 amps) between the generator input plug box (to be moved to the barn) and the main panel. About 70 feet. Here's the question--can I run the wire from the barn to the main panel in the 2" conduit which feeds the sub-panel. Of course, the #10 wire from the main panel would have no connection in the sub-panel. I just would like to use the conduit. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Additional wires in subpanel feed conduit?

There's no prohibition on running unrelated things like this in the same conduit if that is what you are asking.

You have two issues however. One is regulatory and the other is practical.

The regulatory issue is conduit fill. I'm not going to work it out but I suspect you're OK. You can typically get 8 #2 wires into a 2" conduit legitimately.

The practical matter is I assume you already have the cable in the conduit you will probably find it daunting to pull additional #10's through there.

o
RE: Additional wires in subpanel feed conduit?

Thanks for the info, and yup, you're probably right about pulling the #10s. Could be a bad day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here