Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Voltage on 120V outlet

Posted by pianov (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 20:10

I have a 120V outlet at my kitchen counter that I plug a toaster and coffee grinder in. It has worked fine for years. Today, the coffee grinder wouldn't work - plugged a fan into the outlet and it would not work either. Test the plug with an electrical tester and it reads 25V. Try the tester in several other outlets and they all read 120V. Retest problem outlet - 25V. Remove outlet from wall and test directly to the wires - 25V. Nothing else if fed off this outlet (the single three wire bundle goes to this plug). All other outlets and lights and everything else in the kitchen/house seems to work fine.

What on earth could cause the voltage at a single outlet to drop to 25 volts?

I hope someone can help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Voltage on 120V outlet

Depending on what you mean by a "tester" you may be reading a phantom voltage. There may not be in fact any voltage on that circuit. Look for a tripped circuit breaker or a ground fault interupter elsewhere on the circuit.

o

I agree with ron. To further discuss his point about phantom voltage, if you plug in and turn on a lamp or appliance and measure on the wires or the other half of the duplex receptacle that I'm guessing you have there, you will undoubtedly measure 0 volts.

There's a microscopic amount of electricity floating around, coupled from other hot wires this circuit goes near. It is barely enough to tickle a sensitive meter, but not enough to register on a less sensitive tester or lamp.

o

If checking the breaker or GFCI does not help check the wires at this outlet AND the outlet just before the faulty one for loose wires.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here