Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green70

Sub Panel Ground

green70
10 years ago

7 or 8 years ago I had an electrician move the main panel from my house to the garage and install a sub panel in the house with buried conduits in between to eliminate overhead wires. We are currently doing a basement remodel and need to add space to the sub panel in the basement to make room for the arc faults. The electricians that have come out to look said that the previous guy did not install a ground between the two panels. There are grounding rods at both panels and a cold water bond at the sub panel but nothing between the two. My current electrician cannot get a fish tape through the 2" conduit to pull a new ground wire. There is an empty 1" conduit in the same trench as the 2". Can this be used to pull a new ground wire? We just spent thousands of dollars installing pavers and landscaping over the area between the two panels. Do I have any other options other than digging up my new landscaping? Also, it there any danger in leaving it the way it is if the inspector does not catch it?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling