Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimad_gw

220Volt socket in a kitchen

dimad
10 years ago

Hello, is it legal to put a 220Volt socket in a kitchen? We would like to bring a food processor from Europe to US. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Yes it is and it is not unheard of for exactly the reason you suggest. Note carefully that you may still have issues with appliances with motor. In addition to 220V, euro stuff is usually 50Hz.

• dimad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The unit is 50-60HZ. I just want to make sure there is no code violation to install 220V outlet over the countertop. Thank you!

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

It's not even required to be GFCI protected, though it might not be a bad idea.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

Doesn't Europe use 220v to ground?

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

You don't seem to be aware of the fact that what you are proposing is both costly, impractical, and even possibly illegal.

Stick with appliances built to work in the US that have warranty and service support.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Yes, Europe is 220 to ground, but the appliance shouldn't care. Anything of any modern vintage will not have exposed the (what would be) grounded side.'

What a European 240V plug depends what country you are in. In the UK they're big things that look like something we'd put on a dryer here. On the continent they are about the same as a US plug only they have round pins.

A US (NEMA) 240 looks like a 110 outlet with the blades turn ed 90 degrees.

I disagree with the "costly, impractical, and illegal" comment. It's no harder to put a 240V circuit into a kitchen than an additional 120V one. The other alternative is a tabletop large step up transformer. My mother used one of these for years when we were gifted an Italian pasta machine (these did not appear on the US market for many years). As stated, my Swiss neighbors have some appliances (like the thing that holds the half round of raclette cheese under a heating element) that you just can't buy US versions.

There's nothing ILLEGAL about either putting a 240 receptacle in the kitchen (as I pointed out it doesn't even need to be GFCI) *NOR* using an cord-and-plug appliance targeted for the european market.

• dimad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the honest answers! One more question - where I can buy a 220-240V receptacle for round pins ?

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

"where I can buy a 220-240V receptacle for round pins?"
    In Europe.

To use this appliance here you need to change the plug on the wire. You CANNOT use a European receptacle here.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Put in a US 220V receptacle (NEMA 6-15 or 6-20).
    You can by adapters that will allow you to plug in the euro appliance into the 220 US receptacle...or as petey suggests, you can change the plug on the appliance.