Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hot on both sides

Posted by mdelmonte (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 20:01

I have a 20 amp circuit that all the receptacles and switches are hot on both sides. Nothing on the circuit is working, lights or plugs. I'm going nuts for a solution. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hot on both sides

How are you checking, meter? What kind of meter? What are you using for a reference (ground)? What is the voltage between the contacts? Have you looked at the connections in the service panel yet?

o

I'm using a voltage detector. Also on the plugs I'm using a plug-in that tells me that the hot & ground are reversed which I have heard that there could be a loose neutral somewhere.

o

You have a loose neutral, most likely due to a pushin connection on a receptacle. Check the receptacles that are out AND those that are still working on this circuit.

o

I don't have any push-ins, they are all screwed in. There is nothing on that circuit that is working.

o

"I don't have any push-ins, they are all screwed in. There is nothing on that circuit that is working."

Start pulling devices (receptacles) and checking them.
If nothing on the circuit is working it could even be in the panel.

o

Pleae give us more details about your problem. Is this something that just appeared out of the blue? New circuit? Old circuit? Has anything changed?

Non-contact voltage detectors have their place but they are far from perfect and often susceptible to false positives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here