Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I remove this electrical box?

Posted by faithinhumanity (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 19:58

It's in my kitchen. I'm assuming that the left side of the box is a bracket of some sort.

The box had a regular outlet and with a new GFCI (slim line) the wires won't fit. (It's next to the sink in case someone is curious).

How do I remove this without destroying the wall?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I remove this electrical box?

If your goal is to GFCI protect the receptacles in your kitchen, you can do that either with GFCI receptacles upstream (if they have larger boxes) or a GFCI circuit breaker for the entire circuit. The breaker might be your better/faster choice rather than cutting out the box and putting in an old work box.

o

They also make skinnier GFCI's that may fit better.
See the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leviton Slim GFCI

o

Another simple option is to add an outlet extension. Its not that attractive, but will give you the space you need. They sell them in various thicknesses at Home Depot and Lowes.

Bruce

o

ronnatalie, that GFCI in my OP is a slim line version.

bcarlson78248, I've seen the extenders but how would I cover it properly on a flat drywall surface?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here