Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how were your plug molds wired?

Posted by lcskaisgir (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 19:29

My electrician is telling me that they will have to create a false bottom on the inside of my cabinet to accommodate the wires necessary to hook up plug molds under my cabinets. Has anyone ever heard of this or does anyone have any better suggestions? The other option was to have to plug molds mounted flat against the wall (with outlets facing out).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how were your plug molds wired?

I assume we're talking the uppers. I don't know why a false bottom would be required. At worst, you may have a box on one end of the run protruding into the "inside" of the cabinet (but even then I suspect there are ways around it). Unless you're cabinet is so thin on the bottom that the mounting screws with protrude into the cabinet. Still there are probably ways around that (is there also a lighting valence?).

o

It is because of the romex which must be covered in conduit which has to fed through the top (not the end) of the wire mold. There are also led light bars being mounted under the cabinets.

o

It still makes no sense. There's no requirement for romex to be "covered by conduit." At most a junction box to join the plug mold to the NM.

Typically the NM comes out of the wall at the level of the bottom of the cabinet and the connection is made within the plug mold itself.

This post was edited by ronnatalie on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 20:59

o

Are you using an end fitting at the end of the Plugmold to connect the Romex?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plugmold End Feed Fitting

o

Yes dennisgli!! After much research and help from people here, on the kitchen forum, and calling wiremold directly I finally figured out that they could use those instead of running it through the top. I only wish they would have known about the end fittings to begin with…

Thank you!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here