Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheese83

4-way switch issues - Lights won't turn off

Cheese83
10 years ago

Hi All, I'm new here and hoping somebody can help me out.

I have a 4-way light switch circuit which controls my living room lights that is wired as shown in the attachment (blue represents white wires).

Everything worked fine when we moved in 4 years ago. I replaced the switches with a more decorative style (good, quality switches), and the lights continued to work fine.

About two weeks ago, we notcied that the lights would not turn off when flipping any of the switches.

I assumed that since the lights once worked fine, it must be an equipment failure, so I replaced each of the switches (the 4-way and both 3-ways). I used the side screw attachments and took great care to ensure a good connection. I also un-screwed each of the wire nuts to verify that a good connection was acheived in those as well. Switches still don't work to turn off the light.

I would like to know if, based on the attached wiring diagram, any changes need to be made to how this is wired and if the problem may lie with the lights themselves. I'm very interested to hear your feedback, thanks for taking a look.

Comments (4)