Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tunafish76

Please help me figure out amperage for the oven

tunafish76
11 years ago

A newbie needs some help here. I'm puzzled by the instruction manual of the oven I got. The oven in question is kuppersbusch 9800.5MX. it has a 3 wire 240 volt connection, red grey and a green/yellow. My understanding it could be wired with a 2 wire and a ground 240 single phase service. the color grey and not black for the wire is my first concern. The conduit coming from the oven has 14GA wires. The "Maximum Power" listed on the oven is 3850W. 240V, 60Hz. the instruction says the oven "is run on a industry low 15A service" and here is where I'm puzzled again. If I calculate the amperage using the ohms law it comes to 3850/240=16A. Why do they say the fuse amperge is 15A? Because of NAC table 220.55 listing the demand for this type of ovens at 80%??? Bottom line is it safe in your opinion to put it on the 15A breaker? I was going to run a dedicated circuit using 12-2 romex tot he junction box (just in case i would need a 20A in the future.
2. I also have thermador steam oven rated at 240V/15A. What breaker do I need for its circuit - 15A?
3. I'm replacing my electric range with a gas range so i will have a free 40A dedicated circuit. NEC says that you can branch circuit wall ovens - is it wise/safe to use this circuit and tap two 12-2 wires into it for my above ovens, or is it better to run 2 additional individual circuits and leave this 40A as is. I was just wondering if a 15A oven shorts would it be enough to trip 40A breaker? thanks a lot

Comments (6)