Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
240v wire to garage issue.

Posted by richjsn (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 18:41

Thought I would bring this up in the forum to see if my idea is sound. When I ran the 240 - 6/3 wire from the basement to the attached garage I could not keep it within the existing studs. If I build a soffit 10 inched by 10 inches from the ground to the ceiling in the corner of the garage to contain the wire which will be secured with it will it meet code?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 240v wire to garage issue.

You only need to protect the cable from physical damage, not nuclear attack. :-) Without seeing what you have, a 2x4 or two would probably suffice.

Next time you might want to think about some kind of rigid conduit and individual wires.

o
RE: 240v wire to garage issue.

You can still run the cable in a piece of conduit (EMT should be adequate) for physical protection.

Put a bushing at each end to protect the cable from the ends of the conduit.

Fill does not apply to cases like this, so use any size conduit you want and can easily pull the cable through.

If you pull the cable back from its present termination and pull it back through some conduit without cutting the cable you do not even need junction boxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here