Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottdickens_gw

Using use-2 cable

scottdickens
9 years ago

I am installing a new sub panel in a barn, from my existing main house panel I am using un-jacketed 2-2-2-4 USE-2 cable run underground. Do I need it in conduit from the main panel to where it leaves the building, where it will be in the stud cavity? From there it is in 2" schedule 80 PVC into the ground, then direct burial at 24" deep. It has been suggested that I need to run it in conduit inside the stud spaces. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments (3)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Yes, in conduit from the panel until it is at least 18" below grade. Possibly would be easier to run the conduit on the exterior and use an LB to go directly into the panel.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 19:22

• scottdickens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, but not sure that I understand why, It was suggested that SER (jacketed) would be ok. I can transition from USE-2 to SER at the point of entry using an 8 or 10" sq box, but as USE-2 does everything the SER does (and more) not sure why this would be ok. I also have thought about running it in flex?
    I can't come in the back of the panel as the meter box is there and blocks almost the whole panel.

BTW, bus_driver thanks for the quick answer.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I was thinking USE when I responded. The SER is OK in studded wall without conduit. The confusion is mine alone. I would prefer to use the USE-2 for the entire run-- no splices, for one thing. And most USE has other insulation type ratings that are suitable for conduit.