Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
decent quality post lamp

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 18:38

Client asking for suggestions. Off the shelf, do the big box stores offer a decent quality post lamp and matching outdoor lamp for an entry?...or are they junk that won't hold up? For example, if "H@mpton Bay lighting is anything like their plumbing stuff, I'd have to avoid it. Any thoughts?

Also, what "good value" brands can you recommend?

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: decent quality post lamp

I ended up referring them to the nearest electrical supply w/ showroom.

o

Use rough service bulbs.

Wind vibration is a real killer of post mounted bulbs.

o

Good point on the lamps (bulbs). I had used the wrong terminology and was actually referring to the quality of the fixture.

On a separate note, another client had a faulty post-mounted fixture and also a matching exterior house light, both with copper housings and beveled glass, etc. We took them to get rewired (new wire and sockets) at a local lamp shop (Lamplighter in Old Town, Alex) and they're back in working order. Repairs are a inexpensive alternative that seem to be forgotten all too often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here