Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasmar_gw

main disconnect between meter base and main panel

Jasmar
10 years ago

I find myself in a position where the meter base on my home has to be replaced. I initially wanted to replace it with a meter base main combo but no one I have talked to so far seems to be willing to install one. Apparently they are just not done where I am (North Texas). The Poco has advised that they do not care if a combo meter base/main is used stating that post deregulation they no longer require specific meter bases. The only requirement seems to be that it must be a ringless style and pass inspection by my city's electrical inspector. Every electrician I have spoken to says its just not something they do here. In lieu of installing a combo box It has been suggested that I have a 200A disconnect installed between the meter box and my main panel if I truly want some means to disconnect power to my main panel. However at least one electrician says that would then make my main panel a sub and I would need to separate grounds and neutrals and add a neutral between the new disconnect and the inside panel. I was under the impression that the disconnect would be considered service equipment and not subject to NEC guidelines. I will try asking the poco but as its a very large company that kind of info is hard to acquire as a homeowner.
Are there any meter box/main combos that do not also act as a panel themselves? In other words are there any that have just the meter socket and a main breaker. Not one that has meter socket/main and places for breakers? I want a means to disconnect right at the service entrance but dont want to cause my main panel to have to be treated as a sub if possible. Are the 320A/400A meter main combos (the ones with 2 200A breakers treated as the main panel making the two 200A panels tied to them subs?

Comments (4)