Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring dual lights for a brooder pen

Posted by BSB30120 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 18:21

I would like to wire 2 lights for my brooder pen (baby chicks). What I would like to do is have the first bulb be the primary heat source (250W bulb) and then, in the event this bulb burns out, the other comes on. Can someone help me with how to accomplish this??

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring dual lights for a brooder pen

Are they plain old 250w lamps? If so, maybe use a photocell to control the second lamp. As long as the first one is "on" the second will be off.

o

Wayne - impressively simple approach. May take a little trial and error with some sort of a "light pipe" on the photocell to prevent Lamp 2 from cycling on/off if Lamp 1 fails, but it could even be done using all off-the-shelf, plug-in components, and no hard-wiring.

o

One of these on lamp #2 could be all you need. As long as light #1 is on light #2 should stay off. $10 from home depot

Socket Adapter

o

The photocells are mounted so the bulbs they control don't shine directly on them. Sometimes if there's something reflective near by you can get the thing to start flickering because it sees it's own light, but usually you can apply some tape in strategic places to cut that out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here