Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub Pannel Questions....

Posted by richjsn (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 18:16

I am building a workshop for my attached garage and in the process of running electrical wiring before I insulate and drywall. I have talked to two different "home depot" electric guys and have some confusion so let me set up what I am planning on doing. I ran a 6/3 w/ground from my main panel to the garage (70 feet $$). On the main panel in my basement I am going to install a 60amp breaker for that line (240v). That line goes to the new subpanel in the garage. In the subpanel if I am correct I dont need a main breaker since it is an attached garage. I am running three lines from the subpanel all 240v. One for a Heater, one for a table saw, and one for future use. Heater is a 30amp breaker 10/3 wire. Table saw is a 20 amp breaker 12/3 wire. I think for now I will just run conduit to an outlet for the future one. Question... am I limited on the amount of amps with that wire? The sub panel will have a neutral and a separated ground bar. Not sure since it is a garage if I need to use GFI breakers in the subpanel. Does this all sound right?

Thanks to all in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub Pannel Questions....

Heater requires 10/2, not 10/3. Table saw is also 12/2. Anything drawing 240V does not require a neutral.
Local codes determine if you need a disconnect at the sub. I'm in Canada so not sure if you need GFCI's in the garage. In Canada we don't. If you do, you can use GFCI receptacles.
"Question... am I limited on the amount of amps with that wire?"
What wire are you referring to? Any wire is limited with respect to its ampacity by the wire gauge and by electrical code.

o

Quick reply thanks...I can use any wire if I install the correct conduit. More concerned if I am limited in amps by the sub pannel and the 60amp breaker in the main.

o

It's generally a lot easier and somewhat cheaper to run individual THWN/THNN wires in conduit rather than cable. The subpanel total amps (if you add up all the breakers in the sub) is inconsequential. All that matters is that the total amps being drawn at any one time does not exceed the supply capacity. If you're feeding the sub with a 60A breaker, the 60A breaker will trip if you try to draw more than 60A at any one time. A 6/3 feeder requires a max 60A double pole breaker. Any larger breaker will be non code compliant as well as dangerous.

o

"I ran a 6/3 w/ground from my main panel to the garage"

What type of cable did you run?

You might only be able to use a 50Amp breaker, depending on the cable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here