Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itgaryjones

Fuse box

ITgaryjones
9 years ago

Im wandering if anyone could help me and explain this fuse box to me. I have no knowledge about electrical work. We just moved in and the landlord said it was fine. But im not so sure. In the box on the left is 4 tl 30 fuses and on the right 2 more tl 30fuses. Last thing I want to live in is a fire hazard. Thanks. I'll give more info if needed.

Comments (8)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Fuses that are properly sized are better protection than are breakers. But fuses are much less convenient. The panel on the right no doubt has cartridge fuses, probably for dryer or water heater. The one on the left is SquareD brand and probably has two pullouts plus the 4 plug fuses. If not already, the four plug fuses should be replaced with Type S adapters of the PROPER ampere rating. The fuses are more expensive but do inhibit tampering-- except for the intoxicated.
    I have replaced such panels after some wino decided that his efforts had gotten out only part of the fuse and tried to chisel out the remainder (the adapter) with hammer and screwdriver. I do have a (now discontinued) tool for removing those adapters. One homeowner thought that if 15 amps is good, 30 amps is twice as good and he installed 30 amp Type S in every place in his panel.
    Those panels probably date from about 1947 to 1960.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 19:08

• ITgaryjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is inside the main box. Honestly I only have a 1 year lease. Is this something I should worry about? I did notice that one fuse was kind of hot. Thanks

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

" The fuses are more expensive but do inhibit tampering-- except for the intoxicated"

Have we worked together at any time?

• btharmy
    9 years ago

Most likely the 30 amp fuses need to be replaced with the proper size fuse. This will be either 15 amp for 14awg wire and 20 amp for 12awg wire.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

If I was the landlord, I would have all the lugs tightened where the circuit conductors are connected to the panel. Often those will be loose and cause heating even if no overload exists. But it is a good bet that the 30 amp fuses are not proper for those conductors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuses

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Yah, but if you put in smaller sized fuses, they might blow ;)

Bigger ones keep that from happening.......

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

... which is how fire hazards are born

• hrajotte
    9 years ago

Those 2 orange cables in the first pic are probably 10awg. Maybe these feed 30A subpanels at another location in the apartment?
    If not, you might have problems esp if one of the fuses is hot. Is it merely warm, or too hot to touch?