Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grounding switch and outlet together

Posted by chfarm07 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 17:58

I added an outlet into a double box from a single switch box. the switch works to the light but the gfi outlet doesn't. the outlet shows power (because the green light is on)but once i have anything plugged into it it doesn't work. do i have to run a ground wire between the switch and the outlet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grounding switch and outlet together

Absolutely NO way to tell with the information given.

How did you wire it?
What wires were in the switch box?
The ground has nothing to do with the receptacle working.

o
RE: grounding switch and outlet together

"The ground has nothing to do with the receptacle working."

Agreed! A GFCI outlet will work just fine without a ground. (I'm not saying you shouldn't connect the ground wire; you should! Jes sayin...)

Some new GFCI receptacles behave in a counterintuitive way when they're first installed. Namely, if you mis-wire the hot and neutral feeds to the LOAD side instead of the LINE side, the green light will initially come on, but the receptacle will appear dead.

Only after the receptacle is correctly installed AND TESTED will the outlet work as you would expect. (And, yes, doing a test/reset cycle is part of the process. The light behaves differently after the initial test, after which the LED is only green when power is recognized from the correct source.)

As Petey noted, there isn't enough info to diagnosis this with certainty, but that's my first hunch. Are you sure you wired the black and white feeds to the LINE side terminals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here