Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any NYC Sparkies in the House

Posted by chefwong (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 17:22

Just short of taking the Hilti to it, I'm trying to determine what is the wall construction of my wall is . I can hear the adjacent resident next door. I'm in a old bldg in Chelsea, NYC. The primary wall is 5/8 sheetrock on what appears to be plaster of some sorts underneath. The plaster seems to be around 3/4 to 7/8 thick. However, when I took a sheetrock saw to it, cutting a 4 inch square, there did not appear to be lathe holding it.

However, after cutting the full square, the plaster would not budge. It's as if it has a *concrete slug* if I'm coining the term right, behind it.

I am trying to locate studs behind this plaster wall and I suspect there is none ? Behind the plaster, there appears to be only 1.5 inch at most of free space.

My next plan to to knock out the 4" squre I cutout and confirm if there is cinder block behind this ?

I've asked our landlord and super and both are unsure what is holding this plaster wall up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any NYC Sparkies in the House

I'm not a New York sparky but...

If I had to guess based on the information given, the original wall may have used "rock lath", which was a hard substrate popular in the 30s and 40s. It came in narrower sheets (sometimes 16" or 20" wide) and was grooved to accept a plaster finish coat. Given that there is about 1.5" of free space behind it, it was very possibly attached to 5/4" or 6/4" furring strips.

Concrete board (ca. late 40s/early 50s) is another possibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here