Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motion sensor light installed with no wall switch

Posted by sarahlee123 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 16:57

We recently had an enclosed porch addition built, with a deck in back. I discovered that the electrian installed the outside motion light with no wall switch. The only way to have a lights turned on in back is to walk outside and trip the light. When we were planning the electrical work with the electrican, I took it for granted that there would be a switch we could control from inside. Can a switch be added at this point?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motion sensor light installed with no wall switch

Since that electrician is more likely to know the routing of the cable to the light fixture, talk with him/her first. Tell him you are not pleased and wait for his reaction. He might offer to correct the problem.

o

Thanks for your reply, bus_driver. I ran into the contractor, and he said exactly what you did. He's going to contact the electrician, mention the issue, and have him call me.

In your experience, is the no switch installation standard?

o

Most motion sensor lights are installed without switching as they are activated by motion, wanted or not. It would seem to me that what you may want is a seperate switched light for your patio. I can trip my motion lights but unless I stand there, they will go out.

o

I always include switch control. Some of the lights have limited programming accomplished by switching on and off in particular sequences.

o

Texasredhead, thanks for the tip! That never even dawned on me. I'll ask for a regular light in addition to getting a swittch on the motion sensor.

Busdriver, I appreciate your reply. When I do get the motion switch, I'll have to find the instructions for the light, since the electrician didn't leave them for me.

o

Go easy on him. The electrician most likely wasn't trying to cheat you out of a switch. He probably had to bid the job only to meet minimum code in order to get it. Anything extra would have to be paid for as an extra to his base price. Everything is cut-throat right now. If he had included extras such as switches and additional receptacles his price would have been too high and the next guy would have gotten the job. Everybody just sees the final price, instead of looking at what they are getting for that seemingly higher price.

o

Btharmy, there was no cheating involved. It's simply a miscommunication and an oversight on both our parts. BTW, the contractor handled the subs, and the elecric was part of the total price of the addition. I was never part of any bidding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here